I am thrilled to introduce you toÂ Kat Fulton, my very first guest! Kat is a music therapist, speaker and music therapy business coach based out of San Diego, CA. She is also the owner of Sound Health Music, anÂ organization that encourages, enables and empowers people to develop their potential through music experiences.
I first discovered Kat in October 2014 when I was just getting started on my entrepreneurial journey.Â At the time, I was listening to half a dozenÂ podcasts on business, but despite hearing success stories from ordinary people like myself, I wasn’t convinced that I could be one of them —Â I didn’t think that a classical musician could be a successful entrepreneur.
Well, I was wrong.
When I heardÂ Katâs story on one of those podcasts, it blew me away. It gave me the confidence I needed to take myÂ first steps in starting myÂ own business. From studying classical piano in college to launching her own music therapy organization, Kat’s journeyÂ is full of lessons that every artist can learn from.Â I hopeÂ thatÂ after hearing her story, you too will be inspired to believe in yourself and continue forward on your journey.
InÂ This Episode, You’ll Learn…
- What Kat did when she realized she didn’t want to be a music professor.
- Why KatÂ chose to be a music therapist over a classical pianist.
- Why Kat turned down a job offer to start her own business.
- How running her own music therapy business literally made KatÂ sick!
- How blogging and online business enabled Kat to stop trading her hours for dollars.
- How experimentation and failure led Kat to oneÂ major breakthrough.
- How Kat is able to create jobs in the music therapy industry.
- Career advice for college students who are studying music therapy.
- How being an entrepreneur givesÂ Kat the freedom to practice her art whenever she wants.
- Kat’s purpose in life.
Links and Resources
- American Music Therapy AssociationÂ (AMTA).
- Rhythm for Good, Kat’s personal blog.
- Are There Any Music Therapy Jobs Out There?Â Kat has the answer.
- Introducing Black Eyed Peas to Boomwhackers, Kat’s viral music video.
- Music Therapy Ed, Kat’s on-demand continuing education resource for music therapists.
- Mindstorm Mondays, Kat’s weekly webinar series for music therapists.
- Sound Health Music, Kat’s company website.
- Brandon Mayer, The music of Brandon Mayer and the Hidden Powers.
The Power of Music, A Short Documentary About Music Therapy
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks again for listening to the first episode of the Arts Entrepreneurs Podcast! If this showÂ has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the page.
Additionally, please head on over to iTunesÂ to leave an honest review — I’d love to hear what you think. Plus, the more reviews this podcast has, the better it will rank in iTunes and the easier it will be for other artists to find and benefit from it.
And lastly, if you have any questions or know of someone you’d like to be featured on the show, please send me a message on my contact page.
Thanks again to Kat for sharing her storyÂ with us — and to you for listening!